A New Chapter

    

    Almost two years ago I left on a mission trip to a small city in Mississippi with lots of feelings bundled up inside me after losing my mom. She had filled out most of the paperwork for us to go before she was gone, but still I wondered, "Was this the right place for me right now?" And very quickly I learned that I did serve a purpose there, and I connected with God in a way unlike any I had experienced before. I felt more connected with my youth group as well as my connection with Him.
    Although I have so many memories in Marks, Mississippi, a new chapter has opened up for my youth group in Cincinnati. Ohio and I look forward to it immensely. I pray for all those first-time mission trip goers, or maybe even those who have gone for years, that they will see that they aren't on a church trip because their parents signed the forms, or because their best friend forced them to go, but because they need to be there. God wants them there. Despite the changes of location and anything else that has taken place, we are still the youth group of Hermitage United Methodist. We still have each other, and I can tell you now that Cincinnati isn't ready for the great group of caring individuals and open hearts that will enter their city on Sunday.
    I hope this week will open someone's eyes and change their lives forever. I hope a kid latches on to them and shows them what God's unconditional love is like. I hope a song touches them and tugs at their heartstrings in a unique way. I hope they feel more a part of the community of youth they are surrounded with and want to keep coming to church. I hope the laughter and joy from this coming week will be something they carry with them even when they are feeling down. I hope they feel that they are loved, by us and by God. I hope for a lot of things, because I know there will always be one who needs it, who is calling out and doesn't know how to feel whole again. I was once that one.

Love always,
Allison

Comments