College

It's starting to get colder,
As I look over my shoulder,
I see a face that I thought was familiar,
But it's not you.

And my roommate,
Yeah, she's nice,
She's almost like the breeze,
Drifting in and out of my presence.

The fairy lights on my wall might look pretty,
Yet wouldn't it be nice,
If I could go back to when fairies weren't lights,
They were my friends.

The mountains,
They look beautiful,
The trees tower over my head,
But the paths are not familiar and tire me.

Sun leaks through the curtainless windows in the late morning,
Alarms prompt me to get up,
Yet there's no one to look forward to seeing,
There's no pre-class cafeteria chats.

I swipe my card and sit alone at lunch,
I swipe my card and buy books I'll only use once,
I swipe my card and lie on my dorm bed staring at the ceiling,
The white bumpy ceiling like the one in my home.

No amount of command hooks,
Adhesive tape,
Or Chick-fil-a,
Could put back together a homesick heart.

Comments