15 Years of Wicked: I Have Been Changed, For Good.



April 20, 2014.


 

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives
For a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you

As freshmen in high school, my sister and I were ecstatic to be attending our first Broadway show at TPAC with our mom.  I donned my favorite floral hat at the time, and a green and white sundress. Keri wore these large butterfly earrings, a huge brown hat, and a yellow shirt. 

Wicked came to TPAC almost every other year, or at least it made its rounds very often. In the past, I had always heard stories of my friends going to see it or seen their pictures on social media of them attending. I wanted to be, as they say, "in the room where it happened". 

My mom ended up getting tickets for the three of us. I am not sure how, but I think she got them from a friend from church. Anywho, that day is a precious memory in my mind that I will not soon forget. 

Pictured above is one of the only selfies I ever got to take with my mom. I didn't have a "phone" (which was really an iPod) until that Christmas before. This was one of the first outing we had gone on, just the three of us. Or, at least in a while.

I don't know why I felt compelled to type this, but after reading that this year is the 15th anniversary, I just wanted to put this out there as a thank you to the Wicked community. I remember as we walked to the car, my mom was so impressed with the show she said we would all go see it again next time it was in town. She never got that chance. Only a month later she passed away.

And parts of the song "For Good" from the show resonated deep within me, and we played that at her funeral. I think it was a prime example of how my mom was so devoted to appreciating what her children loved, that even she also fell in love with it, too. After she passed away, in a cycle of grief I reached out via email to anyone working for Wicked who would listen. They responded:

Although I have not followed or been a fan of Wicked for the 15 years it has been running, I do hope the show continues to run for many years to come. From its iconic song "Defying Gravity" that inspires every person who knows it to belt it as loud as possible, to those who make memories at the shows with their friends, or family. Theatre has always been a form of escape from the real world, and I hope that the Wicked community can continue to lighten spirits and provide joy to those who need it, no matter how brief.

It's hard to listen to "For Good" without thinking of her. I tear up, most of the time. When it comes on shuffle, or when I hear someone else singing it. I can almost hear my mom singing it.

Sometimes I think of that night, us talking about what we thought of it in the car as we drove back home. The bright lights of Nashville whizzing past us. I didn't know. I didn't know as my mom spoke of seeing it again, it would never be a reality. If only I could see it with her now.

But I am so thankful I got to share that moment with my sister and mom. My mom did indeed change me for good, and I will always carry part of her inside me. As someone told me lately, everyone deserves the chance to fly.

Thank you, Wicked. For everything.


Comments