ASL at Tenn. Universities


As I was scrolling through Twitter, I came across this video of a TTU student preparing for her ASL midterm.

This stopped me in my tracks, because I had no idea Tech even had ASL classes. That inspired me to research what other TN universities offered ASL courses!

DISCLAIMER: Some of this information might be outdated or inaccurate. Course catalogs change, and courses rotate. Just because they offer classes does not mean one will be available Fall 2019 or even Spring 2019.

As a second semester ASL student, I just wanted to get this information out there, because I have found learning sign language challenging, exciting, and super useful!

  • Offers ASL minor, 15 hours
  • Classes: Intermediate American Sign Language I & II, Advanced American Sign Language I: Educational Contexts, Linguistics of American Sign Language, Deaf Culture and Community, Deaf Culture and Community I & II, and Introduction to the Psychology and Education of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

  • Offers online ASL course(s)
  • Cost: $114
  • Six-week duration

TTU
  • Offers two ASL courses: Sign Language 1 & 2

  • Offers four classes
  • Course fee: $149
  • Classes: American Sign Language - Beginners I, American Sign Language - Beginners II, American Sign Language - Intermediate II, American Sign Language - Advanced I

Univ. of Memphis
  • Offers ASL minor, 18 hours
  • Classes: Introduction to American Sign Language I, Introduction to American Sign Language II, Intermediate American Sign Language I, American Sign Language for Speech-Language Pathologists, Audiologists, and Educators, Deaf Culture and History, Psychological, Sociological, and Educational Perspectives of Deafness, Introduction to Audiology, Fingerspelling, Numbers, & Community Experience,  Intermediate American Sign Language II.
UTC
  • Online ASL class
  • Cost: $99

  • Offers ASL minor, 18 hours
  • Classes: American Sign Language I Basic, American Sign Language II Intermediate, Introduction to Deaf Culture, Linguistic Perspectives on ASL, American Sign Language III Grammar Proficiency, American Sign Language IV Advanced
Union
  • 2 classes
  • Classes: Beginning American Sign Language 1 & 2

  • 2 classes
  • Classes: American Sign Language I & II
  • 2 classes
  • Classes: Introductory American Sign Language I & II
  • Offers 2 non-degree classes
  • Cost: 45$ per person, per class
  • Classes: Beginning Sign Language I & II
Rhodes
  • Offers ASL certification, 16 hours
  • Classes: American Sign Language I, II, III, IV; General Psychology or Sociology


Hope this helps some of y'all or gets you inspired into taking a class or two!

Comments