ETSU student uses photography as form of escape and comfort

ETSU student uses photography as form of escape and comfort



Her freshman year, you would have found her playing saxophone and marching on the field with the East Tennessee State University Marching Bucs. Now, she can normally be found photographing the Marching Bucs in their section during football season or snapping photos from the sidelines at Brooks Gym during women’s basketball games.

Behind the camera is  Karissa Clark, a sophomore from Elon, North Carolina; Clark is the photographer and videographer for the Marching Bucs. She spent her high school years in the marching band, but after reaching college, she did not predict that there would be an unexpected twist in her experience.

“Around last year this time, Dr. Moore emailed everyone looking for a photographer and videographer. At first I was pretty skeptical, because I was like, ‘I don’t know if I’m good enough.’ But you know, I like went to him, I  showed him my portfolio, and he just hands me the GoPro and is like, ‘Okay, see you next fall,’” said Clark.

Clark’s photos have been treasured by players, fans, and coaches alike because of the absence of a consistent student photographer capturing those moments.

“Her pictures have been very popular on our social media sites. Not only do the students enjoy seeing them, but the alumni and especially parents and family members of the band members really appreciate seeing them … especially since many live far away and can’t be here to see the performances.” said Marching Bucs Director, Joe Moore.

One particular couple was extremely grateful for Clark’s photography expertise-- former Marching Bucs Jared Calladwaller and Alyssa Fields. Calladwaller proposed to Fields while the “Tennessee Waltz” played at the last home game of the 2018-2019 football season.

“I had been looking for someone to capture our special moment, and Karissa was an obvious choice,” said Calladwaller. “She put in the extra effort to capture our special moment as it was happening not just afterward, and those pictures are something that we will treasure our entire lives.”

Her love for photography started at a young age, which has carried her through up to now as a college student.

“Since I was like three or four. I have just really loved digital cameras and the film. I used to take the film strips and just unwind them. I don’t know why,” said Clark, “I think just seeing things from a different perspective [got me into photography]. You know, because I guess I was tired of seeing things the same way. And it’s kind of good sometimes to see things, look at things from a different point of view.”

Photography has proven to be an outlet for Clark as she deals with her own anxiety issues and the stresses of being a college student.

“I think [being a student] opens up many opportunities for me as a person and seeing myself grow initially has been a great thing. I feel like it is one of those things many people are kind of have a niche for ... if you’re struggling academically and not doing so well, which is kind of like my thing, then you have something you’re good at that we can go and fall back on. Build yourself up. You know, if you’re like really struggling.”

Clark offered some advice to fellow photographers: take photos of what feels right to you and try to grow from your experiences.

“I’m very hesitant and when I go out and shoot and very unconfident about myself, especially if I’m at a game for marching band, or even just at a basketball game. Usually after I review them I’m like, ‘Oh crap, these are all so bad.’ I’m so down about myself. Then I realize that, ‘Oh, this is so much better than last week.’, or ‘Oh, I improved in about a month or so.’ You know, I just say try to find improvements, even if it’s something minuscule to like lighting, or like very short angle amount. It’s very good to always seek to improve and learn. I mean that’s my theory.”

Clark plans to graduate from East Tennessee State University in either Fall or Spring of 2022. Until then, you can find her a sporting events in Johnson City or taking senior graduation photos around campus. Just look for the girl with the Canon Rebel T6i camera on the sidelines under the stadium lights.

Comments