My Thoughts On "Finding Dory"

   On Saturday, I dawned my beige summer shorts, whale baseball cap, and some t-shirt that I don't even remember, but that's beside the point. On Saturday I saw a movie with one of my closest friends that we had waited thirteen years for: "Finding Dory". In its normal weekend fashion, the theater was packed, and I honestly thought we weren't going to be able to find a seat. (We did, thankfully) We walked in with the trailers for future movies already rolling and started to settle down and get comfy to enjoy what will probably be one of the most successful animated films of the summer.

    The Pixar logo with lamp stomping on the 'I' played and I was already transported back to not only when I saw Finding Nemo, but the countless other Pixar movies I had watched as a child alongside my family. I remembered the times I had rode rides or seen exhibits with or about Nemo at Disney World with my family and was completely overwhelmed with excitement and interest. I remembered being less than half as tall as my mom and dad, and my family filling six of the seats in a movie theater and it always being hard for us to find a row for all of us to sit in. I remembered the car rides where we would discuss our thoughts on the movie and laugh about the funny parts for weeks. Yet here I was, sitting beside my friend, with neither of my parents in sight, and my heart dropped. Not that I had anything against who I was seeing the movie with, but man, times sure have changed. But how cool is it that even thirteen years later a movie about the adventures of aquatic animals can captivate the interest of all ages?

   The Pixar short "Piper" played before the movie, and the animation for it was absolutely stunning. It amazes me how much more realistic animation has become! As much as I'd like to describe in detail what I thought of the plot of the movie, I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't seen it. What I will tell you, though, is for once I think Disney didn't let me down as much as they do with many of the other sequels to their movies. It did a great job of introducing new, lovable characters while also having many old friends make an appearance. They displayed Dory's difficulty to remember things as a major point in the movie, but she does not let that weakness consume her. At least for me, I think it means a lot to those who suffer with something that makes life harder to see characters embody that hardship, but it doesn't hinder them from being the hero. In comparison to "Finding Nemo", I find this one to have less humor, but just as rewarding nonetheless. There were some unexpected twists that had me questioning what the HECK was coming next, including the after-credit scene.

   If you feel like completing a part of your childhood and getting a good punch in the feels, I'd definitely recommend this movie. You think you're too old to go? I guarantee you're not. Give it a shot. It'll be refreshing, I promise. Disney does a great job of making their movies entertaining for all audiences. I almost cried probably about three times, and laughed more times than I can count. I felt all the troubles I had been dealing melt away as I felt like I kid again for around two hours.

Comments